Tuesday, May 10, 2016

9 Tips to Get Motivated to Workout


O U T F I T  D E E T S  :  TANK (WANT THIS)  |  SPORTS BRA  |  PANTS  |  HIGH-TOPS -- ON SALE! (ALSO IN WHITE, HAVE THIS STYLE AS WELL)

I've shared bits and pieces of my fitness routine here on the blog, and while I love being healthy, sometimes even the best of us can fall into a rut.  Recently, during and after our trip to LA, I ended up  taking a non-planned two week hiatus from the gym, and I ain't mad about it.  Sometimes you just need a break.  However, when I did return, it was that much harder to lift the weight and I kind of wanted to walk out halfway through my workout!

Instead, I pushed through, and although it wasn't my best workout, I broke the streak and got back into my routine.  The first time back is always the hardest, so today I wanted to share my top 9 tips to get motivated...








(1)  GET SOME NEW GEAR.

Find some new workout clothes, and treat yo' self.  It doesn't have to be expensive, in fact, for years I never bought myself quality workout clothes in fear that once I did, I would stop working out altogether.  Almost as if I wanted to prove to myself that I would stick to it, and I did.  

Just buy yourself something that you feel great in and make you excited to put it on.  I swear by these inexpensive tanks, cool high tops & strappy sports bras.


(2)  MAKE TIME

Set a schedule and stick to it.  Write it in your calendar.  Tell your partner or friend.  Hold yourself accountable that you are going to workout on certain days.


(3)  USE A FITNESS APP

I am currently using Pacer to track my daily steps, which I love to check out at the end of a day to see how far I went.  I find it encourages me to get moving a bit more as well, and since I'm always carrying my phone around, it's always tracking.  

Marco loves My Fitness Pal, he sets a goal and logs in his food and daily activity.  It tracks calories in and out and helps you figure out what you need to do to reach your goal.  Plus, seeing each item you've eaten can be really eye opening when you write it down.


(4)  SIGN UP FOR A NEW ACTIVITY

I always tell people, 'You have to do whatever gets you there'.  For me, it's lifting weights, but I have done so many things over the years--from Zumba, running, BodyPump, cardio classes, Volleyball and more.  Just find something that somewhat excites you and that's half the battle.


(5)  FIND A FRIEND

Sometimes the best motivation is having someone to get active with.  


(6)  MAKE SMALL CHANGES

Don't think you have to make huge changes all at once.  Small changes over time will stick longer, so find a plan that works for you.  If you're doing nothing right now, aim to get active every other day, or even a couple days a week.  It can be as simple as going for a walk after dinner, to as ambitious as hitting the gym Monday through Friday.  Take it at your own pace, but do make a change.


(7)  GET SUPPORT

Making a lifestyle change to be more active and fit can be hard, especially if the people around you aren't into that lifestyle themselves.  If you can't find support in your family and friends, look online.  There are tons of YouTubers and Instagram accounts with workouts, motivation and general #fitfam camaraderie.  I love watching people workout to push me to workout myself (and get great ideas too!).


(8)  REWARD YOURSELF ... BUT NOT WITH FOOD

Set mini goals and reward yourself when you hit them.  It can be as simplistic as increasing your visits to the gym per week, intaking more water (I drink two litres a day), going for a walk at lunch, taking the stairs every day instead of the elevator, etc.  Find something that would motivate you, at your own speed, and go for it!


(9)  COMPETE WITH YOURSELF, NOT OTHERS

This one might be the hardest to do because we, especially as women, tend to compare ourselves to others.  It's like we are programmed to do it!  It can be so frustrating and discouraging.  When I find myself comparing myself to someone else, or feeling envious of their figure, I try to shift my focus and use it as a motivator.  They look great because they worked hard to look great.  Focus on the small changes you're making and over time, you'll see the hard work.  Changing your body is a slow process, but if you're consistent and dedicated, it will happen--remind yourself to enjoy the journey and believe in yourself too.



Photography by Lisa Provençal.

SHARE:

4 comments

Elise Von E said...

Ugh, I need some motivation! These are all great tips!


Love your leggings and sneakers!

xx, Elise
www.sparkleandslippers.blogspot.com

Dominique Baker said...

LOVE those shoes!!! Great post, Amanda! God knows I need some motivation right about now. You look AHM-azing!

Amanda @ Life with A.Co said...

@Elise: Just go once, it's the hardest hump to get over!! CMON ELISE! You can do it! :D <3

@Dominique: thank you girl!! xo Look who's talking!

Christina said...

All great tips! Thanks for the motivation!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig