Monday, October 27, 2014

Weekend Recap: iPhone Snaps

On Friday night I celebrated my good friend's birthday at Big Easy's in Little Italty.  We were a small group and the conversation flowed as well as the drinks did.

Read more after the jump...

Marco ordered our apps and picked perfectly: calamari--something we love trying at every spot we go to, if it's on the menu--and crab cakes, which were fresh and delicious.


The next day was spent cleaning the condo and prepping for the dinner we had planned that evening. At one point I found this little furball in her new favourite place (between the pillows and the headboard of our bed).


A little afternoon snack on a rainy afternoon.


Outfit deets:  La Classe Couture jacket (similar; more affordable option & here), Forever 21 sweater (new but looks like it's sold out; similar), Zara jeans, Aldo booties & clutch.

Our guests were set to arrive around 7:30pm and at 6:45pm I realized we forgot the wine!  I rushed out and grabbed a few bottles.


I love putting together cheese plates and my go-to for garnishes are walnuts and cranberries.  We had three types of cheeses: blue, brie & a smoked applewood gouda.  We served it with Mary's Organic (GF) crackers and baguette.


Our friend brought us these cool, cabbage-like flowers as a hostess gift.


Marco cooked up a storm in the kitchen.  It always amazes me how calm and collected he is when entertaining, while I'm bit of a spastic mess stressing over minor details! 


We had pork tenderloin medallions with layered sweet & white potatoes and asparagus.

There was eight of us and we had a great evening eating, drinking, chatting, and dancing till the wee hours of the morning.  What weekends are made for, right?  Right!


The next morning I cooked us breakfast after Marco got home from the gym--simple over easy eggs, bacon and with my favourite Stonemill toast.


Then, it was onto a major feat: my first turkey dinner attempt!  Since we missed (Canadian) Thanksgiving while we were in Barbados, and turkey is my favourite meal, we decided to try our hand at making this impressive spread for my family.  

Per my mom's instructions, a cook-from-frozen butterball was the way to go, so I was up far too early to get to the store and scoop up all the groceries.  I got home and threw the turkey into the oven, peeled all my carrots and rutabaga and cleaned the kitchen up.


I decided to use the gym in our building and did 7 miles on the bike while catching up on my favourite YouTube channels (pretty much the only way to entice me into cardio--yuck).


Basting a turkey like I know what I'm doing (I don't!).  

My family came over around 6pm and we ate about an hour later and the meal was a great success!  My parents brought the Sweedish mashed potatoes and dessert, Marco made the corn and gravy, and my Dad carved the turkey which was all so helpful.  Everyone left with full bellies and smiles on their faces and I guess I can say I feel like a real grown up now with that under my belt!  Ha!

Hope you had a great weekend yourself and thanks for reading.

SHARE:

No comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig