Saturday, March 15, 2014

Thoughts on 30


Today I am 30.  A new decade!  A milestone--from what everyone is telling me.  I'm not sure I'm ready but I guess we are here now.  I love my birthday--and birthdays in general--so here are a few thoughts on turning the big 3-0.

First off, social media love; Facebook, tweets, texts and more.  That feels pretty freaking awesome and my grandparents called and sang to me over the phone.  This is a once-a-year occasion and I'm going to revel in it.

Does 30 mean old?  Remember when we were young, and 30 was like, geezer status?  But, the older you get, the younger the 'older' ages seem.  Thus, from my calculations, 30 does not equal old.

Life is good.  I am living in an awesome place, I have a job, a car, more shoes than anyone should have (um), loving friends and family, and a wonderful man (who is currently making me brunch)--it's taken a while to get here but it's nice to reflect and realize, yeah! Things are pretty nice.

I've noticed as I've celebrated birthdays over the years, my priorities have shifted, slowly.  Birthday used to be about presents, and now birthday wishes, hugs or friends spending time with me feels like present enough.  I'm not going to say I don't enjoy receiving gifts, who doesn't, but those material things don't seem as important anymore.  Having people want to come to my birthday party, or writing a poem, or even a simple card--those mean so much more.

I hear when you turn 30 you care less about what people think, and have more of a 'no bullsh*t' attitude.  I will always be polite, kind and friendly, but sometimes, especially as women, we take too many things to heart.  It's important to be kind to yourself, not let others bring you down and focus on the people who matter most in your life, right?  Right.  Okay, so, anytime now 30.

From what I hear, 40 is the new 20, so does that mean 30 is the new 10?  Bring on adolescence!

I also hear that your thirties are way better than your twenties--of course, coming from my expert friends who are already in that age bracket, so I'll take their word for it.

I can legally drink! Oh wait...

Lastly though, in all seriousness, and not to get all cheese on you, I grateful to be here, writing this post--hey, I made it to 30!  Although I don't wake up everyday and count my blessings like I should, because 'real life' gets in the way, I am excited to celebrate this day & so happy you are here on this adventure with me.  To the next decade!


Photos taken last month during my early family birthday dinner.
SHARE:

4 comments

LC said...

LOVE! HBD A.Co!

spiffykerms said...

Aww I just got goosebumps reading this. I really really really wish we could've met up before I left Canada. You seem so fun, and like such an amazing friend/person. Happy most amazing-est birthday to you!!! xoxoxox.

I Lol'ed hard at this: "rom what I hear, 40 is the new 20, so does that mean 30 is the new 10? Bring on adolescence!"

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Bella! I just realized from your post that I am old enough to be your MOTHER!! Ai caramba...ENJOY every moment! P.S. When life calms down for you..don't forget to find some time to RECEIVE that little gift I have been holding for you! Love and hugs!

Christina said...

Happy birthday. Enjoy 30. It's the start of something amazing!!!

Http://twolittlecheers.blogspot.com

Blogger Template Created by pipdig